Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Be Busy and Be Still!

Dear Unity Family,

The month of January was a blast, a blitz and a blip. It was a blast as I pause and reflect from the perch of February 1, back to Homecoming, Spiritual Emphasis Week and a lot of basketball games. It was a blitz for many, where we went from event to event with little sleep in between. And January was a blip, because it seems that we just had the Christmas concert last week!

The impact of the being busy is mostly good for us. Studies show that students, who are multi-involved in church, school and home, learn to sharpen their time management skills. It is a time of training in their lives to manage time and make commitments.

Yet we need rest as well. Last week my 11 year-old daughter scheduled in a shut down night. She had the choice to go with us to another event, but instead she informed my wife and I that she was just going to stay home. I think she drew pictures of horses, played with the dog and went to bed early. What wisdom! I learned a lot from her that night.

God calls us into times of rest too. I have a reminder above my desk in my office from Psalm 46:10: “ Be still and know that I am God.” No matter how busy we are we need to be still before God each day.

As February begins, schedule in time to rest and be thankful that you have a lot on your plate. And remember it is okay to stay home once-in-awhile to draw pictures and go to bed early!

W. Dykstra

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder to Be Still and Know that God is God. That is one of my favorite verses. In the last few years I have thought of that verse many, many times and have had to be still and let God do the talking and me the listening. I think that it is in those "quieter" moments we can hear God's voice more clearly. Because we have just one child home now we find ourselves with more times to Be Still and Know but it is difficult when you have several kids all very involved - but at those times we need it just as much or more.

    ReplyDelete